Children with special needs receive high-quality care when they come to Weaver and Stratton Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics for their oral care. We specialize in working with children of all ages, and our pediatric dental specialists are able to establish a rapport with each child. We do this by listening to the child, learning about them, and always being sensitive to their comfort level. When working with children that have special needs, this is especially important as it keeps them feeling safe and introduces them to dental care at a pace they can manage.
If you have a child with special needs or oral sensory issues, please take the time to inform our team members about your child’s needs during their first visit, as we will be making our best efforts to ensure that they receive the quality dental care they deserve. Call our Jacksonville, FL office today if you have any questions or would like to book an appointment!
Why Choose a Pediatric Dentist for Children with Special Needs?
When introducing your child to dental care, finding the right dentist is essential. This helps to promote the idea of dentistry as a positive and joyful experience, rather than something scary. The majority of general dentists aren’t trained to handle oral sensory issues or disabilities and treat every child the same way. At our practice, we understand that every child is different and have specialized training in treating children with mental and physical disabilities, as well as sensory or emotional challenges.
Below, we would like to share with you more about the pediatric dental profession and why our specialists can offer the best care for your child!
- As a part of their education, a pediatric dentist actually receives at least two extra years of training in an accredited dental school beyond what is required to become a general dentist; this enables them to meet the needs of all children and better care for their smiles.
- Having this specialty training equips pediatric dentists with the extra knowledge and skills necessary to provide the best care possible to children with special needs.
- Overall, pediatric dentists are dental care professionals that have a passion for working directly with kids and teens. Their passion for this profession grants them the ability to better connect with the child behind every smile.
Our pediatric dentists can accommodate the needs of many special needs children in our practice; this is including but is not limited to:
- Sensory disabilities and oral hypersensitivity (extreme sensitivity and aversion to touch).
- Feeding disorders and medically compromised children, including those on intravenous medication and oxygen therapy.
- Physical disabilities and neuromuscular disorders that may affect a child’s ability to reach their mouth, hold a toothbrush, or rinse and spit.
- Developmental delays and behaviors such as autism spectrum disorders, hyperactivity, lack of cooperation, or trouble with speech or hearing can make it difficult for a child to cooperate and comply with good dental hygiene.
- Dental trauma (injury to the teeth, gums or jaw) due to an accident or medical condition such as cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and osteogenesis imperfect (brittle bone disease).
- Neurologic conditions such as seizures and central nervous system disorders such as stroke.
We Love What We Do
At Weaver and Stratton Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics, we truly believe in our mission to provide a healthy and beautiful smile to your child at every stage of life and to help them live a happy, healthy, and fulfilling future as an adult.
We recognize that each child is unique and deserves the best possible care; it is our job to determine exactly what each child needs and deliver that to the best of our ability. When working with children with special needs, we always prioritize how your child is feeling and make sure they are comfortable. By doing that, we ensure that every child is happy and healthy. Call our office today to schedule!