Orthodontics is an important part of dental care. The diagnosis and treatment planning for orthodontic patients are often most successful when started at a young age. This is usually between the ages of 10-15 years old. Early orthodontic management improves long-term results by reducing the treatment duration; it also reduces the risk of having more complicated problems in the future due to poor tooth positionings, such as overcrowding of teeth, malocclusion (bad bite), or crooked teeth that cannot be treated by traditional fixed appliances.
Our pediatric dental care professionals are capable of monitoring your child’s teeth alignment from the moment they begin growing their first permanent teeth (typically around seven years old). From that information, we are able to best determine the time to begin orthodontic care to achieve the best results in the least amount of time. To schedule an appointment for your child at our Orange Park, FL, office, call our team today!
Traditional Metal Braces
In our office, we utilize traditional metal braces to correct our patient’s smiles. Traditional metal braces are orthodontic devices fitted to the teeth in order to achieve cosmetic and corrective changes in alignment and bite. Made from metallic materials, traditional braces exert a small amount of pressure on the teeth in order to gradually move them in a specific direction over time. Traditional metal braces are one of the most common treatments used for orthodontics, and the least expensive.
Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
One of the most obvious benefits to your child is a beautiful smile that will last their lifetime. The American Association of Orthodontics reports that in addition to creating aesthetically pleasing smiles, treating children early in life can have other benefits as well, including:
- Prevention of jaw misalignment and overcrowding, which could interfere with chewing and speech development
- Retention of any healthy teeth that could have otherwise been lost due to oral hygiene or decay problems
- Improved self-esteem, which can positively affect behavior and social performance
- Improved facial appearance and profile
The Process of Applying Braces
To begin the process of orthodontic treatment, your child must first visit us for an orthodontic evaluation; this should be performed by the age of seven (though we will typically perform this screening as a part of each six-month checkup).
During the evaluation, we will diagnose your child’s bite and determine the need for treatment, as well as an estimated duration for treatment completion. If it is determined that you would like your child to undergo orthodontic care, we will begin the process of applying braces.
- Metal brackets are cemented to the front surface of each tooth.
- These brackets are connected by a thin wire that is threaded through each bracket’s clasp.
- As time passes, these teeth start gradually moving towards their predetermined positions under the pressure exerted by the orthodontic appliance until they form more desirable angles with the adjacent teeth.
- The wire continues to exert pressure on the teeth for as long as it is in place, which usually ranges from six months to two years, depending on how much movement is needed.
A Personalized Path To A Perfect Smile
Are you looking for caring and knowledgeable pediatric professionals in Orange Park, FL, that are offering orthodontic treatment? Our practice is dedicated to providing our patients with the highest quality of care that is customized for your child’s unique orthodontic needs. We provide personalized attention throughout the treatment process, encouraging both patients and parents to become involved in the treatment by asking questions and getting excited about the orthodontic journey.
Your child’s smile is one of the first features people notice about them, so let our dental team help you give your child the beautiful smile they deserve! Call our office today to schedule their orthodontic evaluation today!